A splendid country house in Vugrišinec in the Croatian county of Međjimurje.
Extended and re-built in 2000, this hilltop residence sits on what can best be described as its own park. Sitting high amid rolling hills, lovely views are all around. Originally a small cottage, a full modernisation project which included a two-storey extension, has produced a fine residence of nine rooms, all are in very good and modern condition yet retain the original country-style feel. Features include full mains gas central heating, full thermal cladding, modern double glazing, rich parquet and ceramic floors, new electrical and water systems and all decorated in a calm and tasteful fashion. The surrounding land plot is both large and beautifully laid out with lawns, meadow, mature trees, a very nice terrace and exterior lighting.
(1) The original cottage is the single storey building to the left, the double height extension is to the right. This view is from the rear garden and shows the main entrance, roofed terrace area and first floor sun deck (extreme right) behind which is the pathway leading down to the adjacent country lane and the double garage.
(2) A view of the main entrance gate which leads from the lane to the pathway leading up to the house and main garden. The Garage is immediately to the left (out of picture). The pathway and garden layout shown is an example of the how well the exterior has been maintained. There are many mature trees around the property.
(3) The main entrance door as seen through the roofed terrace. Outdoor living is a significant part of Croatian life so terraces such as this are built with heavy timbers, full tiling, electrical supply and properly built flooring. The main entrance door is typical of all the doors in its high quality solid wood construction and natural finish. Similarly, the windows are wood frames fitted with modern double glazed units.
(4) Moving indoors and starting at the end of the original cottage: The east bedroom is of good size and has excellent natural light via three windows, two to the flank/end wall and one facing the garden. The floor is laid with brick/ceramic floor tiling, there is ample heating via a wall mounted radiator (as are all the rooms). The original timber beam ceiling has been retained and fully refurbished. The owner requires only a single bedroom thus this space is currently used as a quiet/reading room. The house has sufficient rooms to achieve at least four bedrooms.
(6) With the kitchen behind the camera, this view is of the entrance hallway (main entrance door on the right) which leads to the dining room. Wood finishes abound and match the flagstone style flooring. There is a radiator here.
(7) Located in the original cottage section, the dining room is accessed directly from the entrance hallway and has a glass door entrance (left) leading to the new section of the building and a walkway (right) into the galley style kitchen. Two large windows give a flood of natural light plus light also comes from the entrance area between the old and new sections of the house. The floor is laid with ceramics, the original beam ceiling remains albeit now covered in plasterboard, there is a radiator and large wall mounted show cabinet (photos available on request).
(5) A small galley style kitchen connects directly with the dining room. Completed in mid 2018, it is well appointed and in as-new condition. The window looks out over the hills of Medjimurje county. The floor has ceramic tiling, the outer wall has a tiled splash-back. It is not a classic kitchen/gathering place but functions well in its primary purpose.
(8) A view of the glass door which leads back to the dining room from this bright and airy introduction to the recently built two-storey extension. The large near full-length windows give a view to the park-like rear garden. The upper floor has not yet been developed. This space has a higher ceiling than is the case in the original section. The floor is laid with high quality parquet blocks and, like the rest of the house, is in pristine condition. A radiator is fitted to the far wall.
The main day room is large and has good natural light from windows on two sides. In addition to the gas fired central heating, this room also has a traditional solid fuel furnace (the large brown tiled installation in the far corner) which uses thermal mass to maintain stable and effective heating. The floor is laid with parquet, there are four natural wood doors leading to the dining room, bedroom, bathroom and utility room respectively.
(9) The main bedroom is also well lit from a large front facing window. The whole house sits atop a hill and is therefore not overlooked by neighbouring properties from any direction. The floor is laid with parquet, there is a radiator beneath the window.
(10) The bathroom is fully tiled with modern ceramics. It is a much larger room than is usual for Croatian bathrooms. Fittings include a corner jacuzzi/bathtub, shower/mixer tap, WC, bidet and a wash basin set into a full height double wide vanity unit. There are two radiators, one normal panel type, the other with heated rails.
(11) Also connected to the main day room is this large room which is currently used for utilitarian purposes. The washing machine, central heating boiler are located here. The room is 'finished' in that it has a radiator, fully tiled floor and smooth walls and ceiling. This room is ready to be put to more productive use if desired.
(12) The final ground floor room was originally designed to be a dry wood store but the current owner decided to finish it such that it can be converted into a more domestic space. The walls and ceiling are smooth and painted, the floor has ceramic tiling and the doors are of the same high quality found throughout the rest of the house. The dark-green door (centre of pic) is an extra external access to the terrace area.
(13) Moving to the upper level, there are two unfinished rooms. The outer room has a doorway directly to a sun deck which is accessed via an external staircase. Currently, this upper area has no internal connection with the ground floor. The door and windows are of modern hard wood design with double glazing units. The roof is well insulated and lined with natural finish wood panelling. Electrics are already in situ. Finishes added to the walls and floor are required to complete an attractive space.
(14) Immediately behind the above room (0979o) is another useful space which also has much of the expensive work done in that the roof is insulated and wood lined and the electrics are already in situ. This room sits above the main bathroom thus water and drainage services are available immediately below.
(15) Viewed from the adjacent very lightly used country lane, the property has a double garage with remote powered up-and-over door. The curved white walls lead you to the front iron gate and from there to the house via a block laid pathway through some of the several mature trees. As can be seen, the house has a commanding position and is not overlooked.
(16) Viewed from part way down the garden/park, the property has great presence and a feel of the country villa about it. The central section of the land plot is mowed grassland which is surrounded by meadows. There are a number of mature trees and ornamental bushes.
(17) The view from the tiled and fenced upper level sun deck. This shows the nature of the gardens and view towards Slovenia. The main terrace is at the bottom right of the image.
(18) The view across the adjacent country lane (generally in a westerly direction) gives some perspective of the beautiful surroundings and environment of this imposing property.
(19) A plan view of the property showing the main house, garage and orientation of the land. North is up.
(20) The same view as the previous slide with a satellite photo overlaid.
Show me where it is on Google maps. This view on Google Maps is a winter scene.
The key points include...
Contact us for further details, or just to get answers to questions you may have, please quote our reference code: 0979. We have more photographs available if you wish to see a few further details.
Home Page ⇔
Hrvatski (HR) ⇔ Visit us ⇔ Facebook
Mobile users ⇔ About ⇔ Contact